Wednesday, July 16, 2008

My Visits to the Women's Hospital


I spent two mornings at the women's psychiatric hospital, the conditions were far from acceptable. The women are in tattered robes and worn slippers. We set up our crafts, magazines, games, music and were eagerly greeted with hugs and smiles and quite a few who stand their distance and just observe. There are about 20 women that really engage in the activities and I was amazed by some of the artistic talent that I observed. The first day they were much more spirited compared to the second day when the weather darken which influenced the mood of the women it was also bath day so they were a bit more subdued. I got my butt kicked in checkers, waltzed with a few, hugged many with some while sobbing and answered many questions (through the translator) such as are my teeth real, why don't I have a husband and disbelief that I am 47. These women are beautiful and I wish it was easier to communicate so I could offer hope and express God's love. Witnessing the sadness brought tears and left my heart heavy.

I love the two pencil holder gifts I was presented by the resident artists (two women I believe were in competition) made out of gum wrappers. I will treasure the memory of the nude women prancing around in red high heels happy if it was just for the moment.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Sounds familiar! I have had similar experiences at hospitals.