Sunday, July 20, 2008

I am in love with St. Petersburg!






























What a fabulous weekend in a beautiful city! We were so fortunate to have booked at a great (apartment) hotel with all the luxuries such as a shower, quality toilet paper and a friendly and professional staff! It took an hour of tromping around trying to read street signs to find our place but we persevered! Right on the Moika canal which is right behind the Hermitage and the Neva River. We booked ourselves on a river cruise with an English speaking Russian to see the sights and play tourists, I am really glad we did that to learn all about Catherine the Great and company. I was in awe of the architecture, gardens, fountains and religious icons. After the cruise we ventured to the Idiot Cafe for a fine vegetarian dinner and I finally was able to enjoy a nice glass of wine, which was greatly enjoyed after my "dry" week back at homebase.

Sunday morning I headed out in the rain to attend a church service. I thought I was going to an English service but was surprised by all Russians who were very welcoming, albeit a bit curious that I was there! It was a beautiful way to spend my Sunday morning and to get "centered" there was about 40 there and a guitar. A young woman Victoria spoke great English and translated throughout the service. We had a nice walk afterward, she is a beautiful person with a kind spirit.

I spent the afternoon solo and enjoyed walking and walking and walking some more. It is a fantastic city to photograph and so much fun to people watch. I treated myself to a nice lunch and dinner. And slept really well. Unfortunately my roommate Larissa became quite ill so that put a bummer on the end of a great weekend.

Monday morning I enjoyed a walk in the Summer Gardens and read and wrote. I really felt I was on vacation! I also took time to count my blessings to have been given this experience.

No comments: