Monday, July 14, 2008

First Russian Lesson



The immersion has begun! I woke up with about four hours sleep. It is “white nights” here so the sun sets after midnight and rises again at 4:00 am, the body is just a bit curious about what is going on here! At least it is not the other way around where they experience only about 4-6 hours of daylight during the winter, no wonder these people are depressed! Our morning was filled with orientation to go over the details of the placements for the week that we will visit in groups of three, preparing of the crafts, games, etc. There are about 12 different locations that I will write more about in the coming weeks as I experience them. The CCS director is Nadia and it is so interesting to hear her speak of the trials and tribulations these people have endured and continue to endure…especially the children. Cross Cultural Solutions began their program here in 2001 after realizing the vast needs of so many orphaned children (whose most of their parents succumbed to alcoholism after the economy collapsed during the reform) and women with mental and physical disabilities.

The afternoon was a hour language lesson…sure wish I would have spent more time on those Russian language CD’s! It is tough. This afternoon we had a lovely time in a walking tour around downtown Yaroslavl which is one of the oldest cities in Russia and much more of a bustling city then I had imagined. There are so many beautiful cathedrals and there is an amazing Kremlin (fortress) built around a monastery that was the country’s first stone building constructed in the 13th century! In 2010 Yaroslavl will celebrate its 1000th birthday, wow!

I will begin my placements this week in what has been described by the staff as the most intense, yet rewarding, the Hospital for Women and the Hospital for Kids. Tomorrow afternoon (after visiting the Hospital for Women in the morning) I will work with a special needs Kindergarten class. I am eager and anxious to finally experience the reason I am here and to share with you. I know God will richly bless me as I continue this journey!

3 comments:

Claire said...

Hello my Friend~ Next round of Amazing Race???:) Those sales negotiation skills are coming in handy. Be safe, I miss you and look forward to your next post. Hugs- Claire

Unknown said...

Your assignment sounds like a great fit for you. Your compassion and ability to connect with everyone you meet will serve you well. I can't wait to hear how things went today. Be safe. Love you! Holli

Elizabeth said...

Hi, it looks like you've been updating. I sent you an email with my phone number!